Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sleep disturbance

You learn a lot as a new mother. 
Time and time again, I heard "my baby is sleeping through the night" blah blah blah.  Well, there needs to be a clarification for the benefit of other new mothers.  Your baby may go through the night without eating and sleeps all night, but is that to say your baby will ALWAYS sleep through the night?  Nope.  They may not eat all night long, but when they are learning new things or anything for that matter, they don't sleep through the night.  

It seems as if it's not one thing, it's another.  For awhile, we figured it was Lily's teeth bothering her so it didn't surprise me she wasn't sleeping well.  Well, we were proved right when she cut her first tooth the other day.  Granted, it's only been a few days, so her teeth are still bothering her, but now she is cutting teeth AND she is learning how to crawl.  She's really been trying to crawl the past few days.  You never think this would disturb their sleep, but it does.  It's kind of amazing.  It is seriously like this.  She goes to sleep and then rolls on her tummy.  During REM sleep, she must briefly wake and realize she is on her tummy and her first instinct is to try out what she is learning how to do....crawl.  She gets up into position, eyes still closed and starts rocking, but crying because she doesn't know how she got there.  I pick her up for a second and she is fast asleep...for awhile till her next REM cycle.  So weird, but it really makes you think about how much these little babies are going through and all the cool things their brains are doing.  It's becoming instinct to them and it's like they can't keep up with all the cool things their little bodies are doing.  It seemed like just yesterday we were super excited she was grabbing for things and now she's almost crawling.  It all goes by so fast.  She is learning how to do so much...and it's just been 6 months.   

I have a funny story about Drew that I just have to tell.  Lily is proving to be a lot like him in many areas.  In November, Candice and Drew came to stay with us to help us out right before Lily was to be born.  Well, Drew was super close to crawling.  Really giving it his all to crawl, but it just wasn't happening. Well, one day all 4 of us (Bran, Candice, me and Drew) went to see "New Moon".  In the movie, they have wolves who are running around and yadda yadda yadda, well when we got home that evening, Candice put Drew on the ground and the second he touched the ground, he started to crawl.  We say that he saw the wolves do it and figured out how to do it!  Seriously though, it was like he was thinking all day about how he was going to do it when he got home and he just did it.  Days later, he was trying to pull up on EVERYTHING!  It's amazing how just all of a sudden they get it and are on to the next thing. 

I just wish I could slow her down a little. Just a little. It's going by so fast.  She is already half a year old and it is breaking my heart. There are some moments I just want to stop time and just listen to her "talk" to me or times I just never want her to stop laughing.   It seriously is the sweetest sound in the world and I can never get enough of it.  Anywho, I need to stop writing, or I am going to cry.  Goodnight all! :)

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2010 Practically Paradise. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase